Saturday, August 26, 2006

Feed Them and They Will Come

Building a brick house does not come under the list of things that we know how to do. It was suggested that we hire a maestro (a master builder) with some ayudantes or helpers to assist Jake.

Our good friend, Serafin, attends church in La Pista. When Jake was attending the dedication of the church, Serafin introduced him to one of his ‘brothers’ who happens to be a maestro but prefers to farm. A number of other ‘brothers’ offered to work so we soon had a team that works well together.

We had first intended to drive them back and forth to their homes every day. That would mean 4 hours on the road but it was much better than if they walked. However, when we picked them up the first day, they came with their belongings for the week and informed us that they would build a shelter and stay a week at a time. Wow! I wouldn’t have to get up early and drive to La Pista every morning. But – that meant I would be feeding them three times a day instead of once!

Now that could present a challenge. Maybe they won’t like my cooking (and are too polite to say so). How much food do I make? What do I make for three meals a day? OK, when we ate here before we had a bowl of soup and then a ‘segundo’ or second plate of rice, some veggies such as tomatoes, onions, and carrots, and a small piece of meat. That would do for a start.

So now to buy the veggies and figure out what to do with meat without refrigeration. I picked up the basics for the first few days and then headed into town for a weeks supply. The shopping list was:
Black pepper
4 l. oil
large margarine
bottle of coffee
1 flat eggs
12 ½ lbs. onions
25 lbs. carrots
12 ½ pounds potatoes
12 green peppers
12 garlic
5 lbs. tomatoes
2 celery
bunch of parsley
5 lbs. beans
3 lbs. salt
10 lbs. rice

At the end of the week I had used nearly everything. I had some carrots left but had to buy more eggs, peppers and tomatoes. Some of the neighbours also gave me some cabbage, okra, peanuts and a few other veggies. We have out own plantain. I bought a frozen chicken to cook at the chaco but also took along frozen cooked hamburger. Lentils were also used for one meal.

A sample recipe for 3 Bolivianos, Jake and I for one meal.
3 cups lentils
3 lbs. swiss chard (I also used one of the lettuces from the garden)
8 carrots
6 potatoes
lots of celery leaves
some parsley
5 tomatoes
4 green peppers
1 large onion
3 cups of rice

The meal began with a bowl of rice and veggie soup. In addition I sliced the usual 4 tomatoes and 1 large onion. Everything is eaten with fresh tomato and onion.

When I am in Yapacani I bake since they love to have cake in the morning and afternoon. They are used to plain white cake but decided that banana cake was good, and chocolate cake was great!

They are a great bunch of guys and are eager to teach me traditional Bolivian cooking.

No comments: