Sunday, June 03, 2007

GRACIAS!

Living in another country makes you realize the gift of friends, both old and new. Jeanine came to visit. I did not know her and we crossed ways because she came into Santa Cruz a day early to ensure that she would be on time for her flight home. She came to Bolivia on a mission trip to help at some orphanages but had many questions about Bolivia – its culture, its problems, the people, the poverty, and the solutions to some of the problems. Most of all she wanted to know what impact, positive and negative, that short term missions had on the people.

As we talked, she shared with me that she was reading a book by a priest who had worked in Bolivia in the ‘80’s. She loved the book and the insights shared by the priest. It was a thought provoking book and led to many deep discussions. It was evident that this book had changed her and had given her a different perspective on life and faith.

The day she left, she said she wanted to give me the book that had meant so much to her. She was hesitant about giving me, an evangelical, a book by a Catholic priest; a book that asked many questions about the people from the first world working in the third world. When she handed it to me, I cried. It was Gracias! by Henri Nouwen – one of my favorite authors. She was relieved and overjoyed and I was thrilled with it.

In reading Gracias! I see that there has been many changes in Bolivia in the past twenty years but that many things have not changed. Nouwen challenges all of us to look at what we are doing and how we are influencing what happens in developing countries without being judgmental. There are so many times I was saying “Yes” and “Thank you” while reading. He asks many of same questions that I ask and although he does not have solutions, it is inspiring and gratifying to read his view on these challenges.

Jeanine and I both found that some people avoidd the book because it was written by a Catholic. That is sad; they are missing out on a great inspirational read. I challenge you to get the book from the library, or better yet, buy a copy, read it and be moved. Gracias from the bottom of my heart, Jeanine!

1 comment:

EFCCM Communications said...

There are pockets of resistance, but the church is becoming more ecumenical. Denominational boundaries are starting to erode, and they are being seen less as divisions, and more as flavours of the same thing.

Wisdom is wisdom, and it is silly to ignore it just because it comes from a slightly unfamiliar place.