Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Fruit

Coming from Canada, I am missing my usual Jap oranges at Christmas. That always was my favorite Christmas food. So here I am living in a region where I can enjoy mandarins for at least 6 months a year and I am missing them now!

So what do I have instead? How about mangos? In Canada, mangos were the treat in the summer and I was thrilled to buy a case of 10 for $7.00. Although we have mango trees planted they are not producing so I still buy my mangos at a much cheaper price.

There are two types of mangos – those with fibre and those without. The native mango is a smaller fruit with a green skin. It contains a lot of fibre and people suck out the juice more than ‘eat’ the mango. Otherwise you need lots of dental floss. The most common hybrid mango is the Manzana or Apple Mango. It is larger, has a reddish skin, and much less fibre. Delicious! We buy them for 1 boliviano, about 25 cents, each.

When mango season just starts the best ones are purchased from the Japanese farmers at Santa Fe, just a little ways down the road. I bought my Manzanas and then the lady encouraged me to try the new varieties – Mango Platano (banana) and Mango Papaya. I thought the Manazanas were good but these were even better – and completely without fibre. And the price – same as the Manzana.

Each time we come into town we buzz down to Santa Fe for our mangos because they do not sell the newer varieties anywhere else. Jake purchased seven Mango Platano trees and the Mango Papaya and another new variety will be ready in three months. The young man says they should start producing next year. So I will have lots of mangos for Christmas but I still will miss my good old Jap oranges.

2 comments:

EFCCM Communications said...

Hmm... interesting. Are these new fruits genetically modified hybrids? For example, are they actually crossing mangoes with bananas? Or does this just describe the shape/character of the fruit?

Gomez said...

Well well well - roaming around the internet certainly gives you surprises. I was actually trying to find information about Tim but without luck - and now I stumble upon you guys... IN BOLIVIA!!!

...and from what I can read on your blog you've sold the place back in Alberta - I guess times changes things!

Well, to give you a hunch how to remember me, I was one of Tim's best friends back when he spend a high school year in Denmark. I'm Thomas! I came to Tim's wedding with a couple of other friends, Lene and Karina.

I've been trying to find Tim, because the old mail-address I had doesn't seem to work anymore so I didn't know how to reach them. Do you have E-mail information on him. I thought it would be nice to re-establish contact with him and his family. We haven't had contact for some years now and I think it's a pity.

...and I hope you guys are doing well - it really seems very interesting what you're doing in Bolivia - very impressive!

Best regards
Thomas from Denmark