Sunday, May 02, 2010

Queshwata yachani

For the people of Patujusal and many other communities, Quechua is their mother tongue. Many of the older people speak only Quechua; and most of the middle aged and younger people also speak both Quechua and Castellano. Because I love to learn and because I want to be able to communicate with the people, I am dedicating this year to learning this language.
Quechua is one of the Incan languages. There are over 20 different types of Quechua so there is not a standard for either the written or the spoken language. In some places the “j” sound will be used; in others the “h” sound. Spelling is a challenge! The language is built like a train with the engine being the root word and the cars being suffixes. When I asked one of my teachers how many suffixed there were he said that he had a book with 350 – and that was not all.
When we learned Castellano we found that there were many words similar to English or French. This is not so in Quechua so memorizing vocabulary is a large part of my day. Quechua grammar and sentence structure is more like English so that is a bit easier. Everything is connected so you can say a whole sentence in one word. Technically, I am learning Quechallano – a combination of Quechua and Castellano. Many of the words that are used did not exist in Incan times so the Castellano word has been adopted.
Language training means that I am spending a lot of time in Cochabamba. I am very thankful that one of my teachers has a place above the city and that I am able to stay in a postage-stamp house on that property. There is also a childrens’ home here. I have a wonderful view of the city but rotten transportation lines. It takes me 45 minutes to get down to the school but usually I travel to school with Gladys and take the bus or trufi-taxi home. I was able to purchase an internet flash drive so I now have internet in my little house. Although a bit slow, it gives me the flexibility to use it when I wish. I also have Skype and that is the way I can communicate with Jake since our phone reception in the country is still not that reliable.
My plan is that I will spend 3 to 4 weeks in Cochabamba learning the language, return to the community to use it for a week or two, and then continue in school. Either I go back or Jake will come here half way through each session. We will try it and see how it works.

No comments: