Monday, June 14, 2010

Cecilia - a true sister


Cecilia became part of life over five years ago when we first visited this community. With her infectious laugh and huge smile she always made me feel welcome. When we returned to live here I was sad when I heard that she was moving to Yapacani with her children so that they could go to school. We lost touch.

Cecilia’s husband, Mario, was also a very happy-go-lucky man with a unique sense of humour. We got along with him well. Both Mario and Cecilia liked to party and drink. We heard rumors that this was part of their new life in Yapacani.

Although things between us never soured, they never grew. We became a little distrustful of Mario when we heard some of the things that he had said that we had promised. We were friendly to each other, but certainly not close.

Then came the accident. Mario included Jake in everything. There was a feeling that he needed Jake to be there although we did not understand. On Sunday afternoon we found out why.
Jake took some of the family members to the river to wash the belongings. Cecilia was a passenger in the truck. She talked to him at length about the children and asked his advice on what should happen.

Then she shared that she was going to church in Yapacani. The pastor is a friend of ours that we met our first months in Cochabamba. Mario took him to visit us but we were not home. Things were starting to sound a little weird. Mario taking a pastor out to see us? Mario going to church? And then she asked if we would please come to church on June 13. She was being baptised and she and Mario are getting married in September.

Later, when Cecilia and I were talking and I expressed that I was afraid to talk Quechua, she gently looks at me and says, “But with God you don’t have to be afraid.” What a gem. She also told me that it was only with God that they were getting through this difficult time.

I sat with some of the family later in the evening and some were drinking beer. Someone gave Erselia a can. She took one sip and gave it to me. I took a sip and gave it back. Then she gave it to Mario. He took one sip and put it down. That one action showed me how much he had changed. Then when some of the traditional things started, Mario walked out. I realized that all day he was in the background, doing only what needed to be done but not participating in those things that did not agree with his new life. What a witness – and what a great blessing! I am positive that now we will become closer and that Mario will stand beside Jake as we work with this community.

No comments: