Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Day in Surgery


The alarm went off early and off I went back to the hospital. Filipe was trying the bathe Jhonny and shave his head for surgery. His hair off in bits and pieces and Jhonny was crying so I took over that part of the job. It is hard when there is no assistance. Soon Jhonny was tucked back into a warm blanket and off to surgery.

The surgery lasted seven hours. There is not a lot said but they used three more units of blood than they had planned. The good thing is that they just used them and didn't get us to pay for them first. I would have had to change some money and that could have been a crucial delay. The majority of the tumor was removed but they were unable to get it all. After surgery I was presented with two vials with parts of the tumor which I brought to the cancer hospital across town. They were not receiving items until Monday morning --what do I do with tumor parts? Thankfully the hospital took them back and is storing them until Monday morning.

Jhonny was resting quietly when I left. Not that that says much. He was very drugged and these Bolivians don't show it when they are pale.

In the Bolivian hospitals there are many ladies from different churches talking to the patients and their families. One befriended Filipe and Ersilia and they stayed at her place last night. It is great that they have a place to go instead of a hotel room.

Thank you for all the prayers. I will post pictures when I get them off my camera

No comments: